NSW SECURES LARGEST HEALTH WORKFORCE BOOST IN HISTORY

The NSW Government has announced a record 10,148 full-time equivalent staff will be recruited to hospitals and health services across the State over four years, in the nation’s largest-ever health workforce boost.

Member for Goulburn Wendy Tuckerman said the $4.5 billion investment over four years made possible by the NSW Government’s 2022-23 Budget is intended to relieve pressure on existing staff and ensure there are appropriate levels of health staffing for its health infrastructure projects.

“We acknowledge the tireless efforts of our local health heroes throughout the pandemic and are proud to make this record investment to give them the support they need,” Mrs Tuckerman said.

“This $4.5 billion investment will boost the ranks of our health workforce, helping to give relief and support to our hardworking existing staff, provide the staffing profile for increased elective surgeries and ensuring we continue to deliver quality health care closer to home.”

“We are ensuring that our health heroes get the respite and back-up that they need, while our communities have access to the healthcare they deserve.”

7,674 more workers will be recruited in the first year, including nurses and midwives, doctors, paramedics, pathologists and scientific staff, pharmacists and allied health professionals, as well as support and ancillary staff who ensure the continued operations of NSW hospitals and the wider public health system. 

Mrs Tuckerman said the $4.5 billion investment will ensure there are appropriate levels of health staffing for the state’s pipeline of health infrastructure projects.

“The NSW Liberals and Nationals have delivered 170 hospitals and health facilities since coming into Government, with a further 110 underway,” Mrs Tuckerman said.

“This funding ensures new and upgraded hospitals such as Goulburn, Yass and Crookwell will have the workforce to service our community today and well into the future.” A strong feature of this health workforce boost is the record investment into NSW Ambulance, with $1.76 billion announced to recruit 2,128 new staff and open 30 more stations across NSW.

FUNDING FOR MULTICULTURAL EVENTS

Member for Goulburn Wendy Tuckerman and Minister for Multiculturalism Mark Coure today announced community organisations in the Goulburn electorate can apply for multicultural event funding.

“Our community enjoys a number of multicultural festival and events that celebrate the region’s cultural diversity,” Mrs Tuckerman said.

“These events would not be possible without our volunteers and local community organisations working behind the scenes to make them a success for our whole community to enjoy.

“The Multicultural NSW Stronger Together Grants program offers a helping hand to our local organisations delivering these multicultural events.

“I encourage all our local eligible non-profit organisations who meet Multicultural NSW’s assessment criteria to apply.”

Minister for Multiculturalism Mark Coure said the Multicultural NSW Stronger Together Grants program supports many grassroots community-led events across NSW.

“These grants provide eligible applicants between $5,000 and $15,000 for events and festivals, which showcase the strength of our cultural diversity in NSW,” Mr Coure said.

“Whether you attend, organise or volunteer at a community festival or event, the NSW Government is making our multicultural calendar more vibrant and accessible.”

Multicultural NSW Stronger Together Grants have previously supported community Harmony Day events, interfaith and intercultural conferences and social inclusion sports days.

Applications are now open and close Friday 17 June. For more information about the Multicultural NSW Grants Program and to apply, visit https://multicultural.nsw.gov.au/grants

NSW BUDGET TO ACCELERATE FEE-FREE TRAINING

An additional 70,000 people will receive fee-free training as part of a plan by the NSW Government to turbocharge the State’s skills-led recovery and help more people get the skills they need for the jobs they want.

Member for Goulburn Wendy Tuckerman said the 2022-23 NSW Budget would invest $82.7 million over four years to help people unlock opportunities for jobs.

“This is a great opportunity for people looking for their first job, a new job or a better job, to get skilled and work in rewarding careers,” Mrs Tuckerman said.

“It will remove financial barriers for people wanting to undertake vocational education and training and turbocharge the take-up of skills to help grow the economy.”

This new investment in fee-free training is on top of 100,000 fee-free apprenticeships and 70,000 fee-free traineeships already being delivered by the NSW Government.

Treasurer Matt Kean said the Budget would continue accelerating the skills boom and helping to deliver the lowest statewide unemployment rate on record at 3.5 per cent.

“This investment will deliver tens of thousands of new apprentices, trainees and full qualifications to help people get skilled for in demand jobs,” Mr Kean said.

“The NSW Government’s strong economic management means we can deliver fee-free training which is helping people boost their budget and ensure a brighter future for them and their family.”

This NSW Government’s strong focus on skills led to a 77 per cent increase in the number of people commencing apprenticeships and traineeships in the 12 months to September 2021, according the most recent NCVER report. There was a 91 per cent increase in the number of women commencing apprenticeships and traineeships during the same period.

Minister for Skills and Training Alister Henskens said the NSW Government is leading the nation in supporting people to get skilled for jobs to help grow the economy.

“This Budget cements the golden era for skills and training in NSW – there has never been a better time to get the skills you need to unlock a first job, a new job or a better job,” Mr Henskens said.

“As part of our skills-led recovery, we have seen an enormous surge in the number of people commencing apprenticeships and traineeships in NSW and this Budget will turbocharge the take-up of training right across the state.”

For more details on training available, visit https://education.nsw.gov.au/skills-nsw.

YASS COURTHOUSE IMPROVEMENTS

The Yass Courthouse will be benefitting from a $240,000 investment dedicated to maintenance and improvement from the NSW Government.

Member for Goulburn, Wendy Tuckerman MP made the announcement today after receiving a reply to the representations she made to the Attorney General of NSW, Mark Speakman, on behalf of the Yass community.

Mrs Tuckerman said the investment in Yass Courthouse will include landscaping, cleaning, painting and flooring improvements.

“This is a terrific announcement for the Yass community who have great pride in the heritage buildings of Yass, and this magnificent building is a model example of James Barnet’s work which should be preserved and cherished. 

Mr Speakman acknowledged the architectural significance the historic courthouse to NSW, as well as the place it holds in the Yass community.

“The NSW Government has initiated a maintenance program for the courthouse which will be managed by the Department of Communities and Justice, in a multi-staged approach,” Mr Speakman said.

Stage one is expected to be delivered prior to 30 June 2022 and will include:

  • Landscaping, including trimming of trees and shrubs and pressure cleaning of pathways and stairs
  • Cleaning and remediation of fencing
  • Painting of priority internal areas; and
  • Replacement of floor coverings.

Stage two will be delivered in the 2022-23 financial year, and will include:

  • All external painting (full site); and
  • Remaining internal painting

STUDENTS TO TOUR HIROSHIMA AND PEARL HARBOR

Six high school students across NSW will have the chance to visit historic WWII sites in Japan and Hawaii as part of the ClubsNSW Premier’s WWII Memorial Tour.

Member for Goulburn Wendy Tuckerman today encouraged all year 11 high school students aged 16 and 17 to put pen to paper for a chance to be selected for this once in a lifetime trip.

The NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet and Minister for Transport and Veterans David Elliott announced the opening of the essay writing program on Friday 27 May.

Mrs Tuckerman said to be in the running for selection, students would have to submit a 1000-word essay which answers the question, ‘Are the lessons of WWII still relevant today?

“The ClubsNSW Premier’s WWII Memorial Tour will provide opportunities for students to develop their knowledge and understanding of the history of World War II,” Mrs Tuckerman said.

“The six successful students selected for this trip will be taken on a guided 11-day tour of historic WWII sites in Hiroshima, Japan and Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.

“The attack on Pearl Harbor and atomic bombing of Hiroshima are two of the most pivotal moments in the Second World War and this exclusive experience of a guided overseas tour will give students an in-depth understanding of some of the most defining moments in World War II history,” Mrs Tuckerman said.

The group will depart Sydney on Thursday 21 July and return on Sunday 31 July. Year 11 students must be aged 16 or 17 to submit an essay via the ClubsNSW website, here. Entries are open now until 5pm on 13 June 2022.